The 2022 edition of the London Grand Slam is marked by several particularities, in particular the absence of Russian players, due to the war in Ukraine.
0. Like the number of Russian and Belarusian players present at Wimbledon this year. The tournament organization decided in April not to allow them to play the tournament this year, because of the war in Ukraine. ” We recognize that this is difficult for those affected, and it is with sadness that they will suffer the consequences of the actions of the leaders of the Russian regime.
sse “, reacted the president of Wimbledon, Ian Hewitt.
0. Like the number of ATP and WTA points that will be distributed this year. After the announcement of the ban on Russian players, the ATP and WTA responded, announcing that no point would not be distributed. Consequence: last year’s winner, Novak Djokovic, says goodbye to 2,000 points and falls to 7th place in the ATP rankings. The Hungarian Marton Fucsovics, quarter-finalist last year, loses 37 places.
18. Like the number of French people involved (10 for men, 8 for women). Titled Saturday in Bad Homburg, Caroline Garcia could find Emma Raducanu, the new British tennis star, from the second turn. Harmony Tan could come as a huge surprise as she faces off against Serena Williams, who is returning after a year’s absence. Among the French, Quentin Halys and Benoit Paire clash this Monday noon. Comfortable on grassAdrian Mannarino takes on Australian Max Purcell in the first round.
40. In millions of pounds sterling, this is the total envelope dedicated to the prize-money of players, all tables combined. The figure is up by more than five million pounds from 2021. The singles winners will pocket the equivalent of €2,353,000 each. The winners in the first round will leave with a check for nearly 59,000 euros.
23. Winner of the Australian Open, winner of Roland-Garros, Rafael Nadal arrives at Wimbledon with the status of favorite. If he wins in two weeks, he would then accumulate 23 Grand Slam titles. On his way, the Spaniard could find the Italian Matteo Berrettini, finalist in 2021. Novak Djokovic, for his part, intends to keep his title acquired last year. Especially since the Serb should not be able to play the US Openat the end of August, since he is not vaccinated.
Tennis: after his Wimbledon final, Nick Kyrgios celebrates his rebirth in Washington
From Björn Borg to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, when world tennis stars marched in Le Touquet
Tennis (Junior Davis Cup): after Zverev and Alcaraz, what seeds of champions in Le Touquet
Continue reading on this topic(s):